To ensure a safe and orderly environment for our students and staff, at Fell, we adhere to the policies under the headings on the left of this page. If you have questions after reading the information, please refer to the School District of Philadelphia’s CODE OF STUDENT CONDUCT and/or the D.N. FELL SCHOOL PARENT HANDBOOK that is distributed within the first few weeks of a new school year.
Proof of residence
Up-to-date medical records
EH36 form if living outside Fell boundaries*
*Note: Children are admitted to the school if space exists at the various grade levels after neighborhood children have enrolled. Parents who move outside Fell boundaries must notify the school.
Morning Line-Up, Regular Dismissal and Requests for Early Dismissal
Daily Morning Line Up
• Report to the schoolyard by 8:15
• Children participating in the breakfast program report between 8:00 and 8:15
• Assemble in the Auditorium by 8:30
• Dismissal is at 3:09
• Parents wait in the yard for their children
• Ninth Street exit for rooms: 100, 103, 104, 105, 201, 202, 204, 300, 301, 302, 304, 305 and 310
• Hutchinson Street exit for rooms: 106, 107, 108, 207, 208, 209, 307, 308, and 309
• Children who ride the bus or go to the South Philadelphia Community Center report to the auditorium
Requested Early Dismissals
• A note or appointment card should be brought to the office for verification of the appointment.
• A parent must sign the child out in the office.
Latenesses and Absences
• After 8:30 a.m. obtain a late note from the assistant at the desk in the first floor hallway.
• An after school detention is assigned after the third lateness.
• Repeated lateness keeps a child from receiving a Citizenship Award.
• Lateness becomes part of the student’s permanent record.
• Students must bring a note when returning from an absence.
• The note should state:
◦ Child’s complete name
◦ Date of absence
◦ Reason for absence (personal illness, death in family, religious holiday)
All children are eligible for a free hot lunch that is prepared each day in our cafeteria.
Recess and Lunch are combined and last for one 45-minute period for grades 1 through 8.
Lunch times for the various grades are as follows:
- 11:15-12:00 kindergarten, first, and second
- 12:00-12:45 third, fourth, and fifth
- 12:45-1:30 sixth, seventh, and eighth
The Fell School uniform consists of a navy blue top and tan bottom. Navy sweats are permitted on gym days. Children who are not in school uniform cannot remain in the classroom. They are sent to room 101 to wait for you to bring the uniform. Occasionally students will be permitted to dress down.
Refer to THE SCHOOL DISTRICT OF PHILADELPHIA CODE OF STUDENT CONDUCT HERE that explains students’ rights and responsibilities, as well as levels of offenses and the consequences for violations of the Student Code.
The school counselor is available for individual and small group counseling as well as parent conferences.
After-school detention, if warranted, is given to all students, whether they ride a bus or not.
When warranted, suspensions are given whether a parent works or not.